Transportation Industry Case Studies
For more than nine years, EDI has worked with several of the top rail and car management companies in the United States to manage their rail cars, create integrations with Umler, move and maintain their locomotives, adjust and prepare for new PTC requirements, and align their operational business and maintenance requirements. These companies have been able to leverage the power of Maximo for Transportation to achieve operational efficiencies, increased revenue, and visibilityacross business units for maintenance activities.
Visibility across Business Units
Companies that use Maximo leverage the visibility it provides across business units, assets and locations to make better decisions, faster. Maximo provides a role-based view into the entire enterprise asset system, so users can take action to keep their locomotives, railcars and other assets rolling. Knowing where a line-of-road (LOR) asset is and why provides confidence, peace of mind, and visibility up, down and across the organization.
A stopped locomotive or railcar is every manager’s worst nightmare, which is why so many rail companies rely on Maximo to move and manage their assets. In fact, using Maximo assists several rail companies keep their movable assets on-the-go by tracking where they are, where they are going, where they need to be and by when. This makes them more efficient, more effective and more profitable.
The leading provider of railcars and related freight car management uses Maximo to manage its railcars wherever they are in North America. One critical aspect of our solution involved integrating directly to Umler so that staff cannot take an action that would violate any of Umler’s rules. Additionally, hundreds of thousands of dollars are saved each month through an automated rate adjustment process.
EDI has worked with a major Rail-based Transportation Company to automate the shop operations of their locomotive maintenance division.
The benefits of the on-going project include:
- Ensuring FRA, EPA and other regulatory compliance by automatically generating due activities and electronic audit-tracking of execution.
- Increasing labor utilization through ease of work reporting and the ability to request parts from the pit or track.
- Reducing data administration time by leveraging Maximo's ability to update asset information and maintenance programs automatically, based on work executed and components installed.
- Increasing visibility to operational effectiveness and locomotive reliability KPI's through the capture of accurate real-time data of shop operations and locomotive histories.
EDI has been able to configure Maximo to meet this Rail Company’s business requirements in several ways:
Automated shop-level operations:
- Service Center and Shop Dashboards for Managers are used to manage the arrival and departure of locomotives to maintenance locations and automate electronic generation of appropriate maintenance work orders.
- A Mechanic's Clipboard-style application has been deployed on touch-screen kiosks throughout the shop to allow Mechanic's to interact with a locomotive's electronic work package to check-out and check-in tasks, request and issue parts from stores, and install and remove serialized components on locomotives.
Track and schedule repairs and preventative maintenance for revenue equipment:
- Added custom "Work Package Generation" functionality leveraging PMs and Transportations Work Packaging capabilities to handle the special rules associated with fleet scheduling.
Adapted out-of-the-box Functionality:
- Supervisors can use Statuses and Workflow to review and edit updated transactions.
- Built an In-Shopping/Out-Shopping process that allows Supervisors to review status and details of work completed prior to releasing Locomotives.
- Built in a "Supervisor Only" task functionality to handle certifications of inspections and signatures on forms. EDI also built standard FRA reports in Maximo.
For our Fleet Maintenance Clients, EDI has either configured or customized Maximo to manage personal use vehicles and heavy equipment (snow removal, tractor/trailers, construction) as well as military fleet vehicles such as tanks and helicopters. These complex mobile assets have unique and varied maintenance requirements that demand rigorous preventative and just-in-time corrective maintenance activities. Additionally, the Fleet is typically comprised of hundreds, if not thousands, of individual assets, parts and components that require tight inventory control. Large fleet maintenance groups, such as a private food distribution company, international airports, and military compounds, have come to rely on EDI and Maximo for implementing and executing maintenance best practices within their organizations.